In South East Queensland, chlorine is added to the water to protect customers from contamination. We maintain a level of chlorine in the water network to kill any disease-causing organism which may get into the water supply pipes after treatment.
You may be able to smell or taste the chlorine in the water when the amount of chlorine added is changed for various operational reasons. If you live near one of the dosing facilities you may notice changes in the chlorine levels in the water.
Is chlorine harmful?
We monitor chlorine throughout the network with online monitoring, laboratory and field testing. Chlorine levels are assessed against criteria described in the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 2011, published by the Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council
. These National guidelines have determined the level at which chlorine is safe in drinking water.
What you can do
Chlorine will dissolve from drinking water if you allow it to stand for a few hours in a glass. Aerators on taps and some types of in-line commercially available filters can help reduce the amount of chlorine in drinking water. If you are still concerned with chlorine at your property, or are seeking more information, please call us on13 26 57 (7am-7pm weekdays).
Other Tastes and Odours
The water we distribute to our customers originates from a variety of catchments, each with different characteristics and taste profiles.
Below is a list of typical taste descriptions and what they may mean for your water quality.
What you can do
If you are concerned about the taste or smell of your water, contact us on 13 26 57 (7am-7pm weekdays) or 13 23 64 (24/7).